Sub 50 and why am I out again?

Sooo it is freakishly cold in Cali right around now. Well relatively freakish, for California anyway. And you all know how I don't like to be outside when it is below 50 so my natural urge is to just crawl under the down comforter and toast a bit, which is actually what I am doing right now, but not what I was doing earlier which is actually the point of all of this. Anyway, so I go to the store and again icy cold with the frost on the ground and on the car (Aozame!) and such. As I leave the store with my purchases a homeless guy asks me for some cash, and since I only carry plastic with me I can actually say I don't have any cash on me and not be lying. So then the guy totally throws me for a loop and says "well some food would be okay" and I just stand there all "wait a minute, aren't these guys all just after booze?' [sidebar: case in point : while I am at Food4less--which I hate by the way--some homeless guy comes up to me in the breakfast food aisle, and asks me for 2.75--very specific that amount--with an actual 40 ounce tucked under his arm! No ambiguity bout what he was going for there! :end sidebar] so of course it is freezing and I am actually now thinking things through with this homeless guy but, as I look in my basket I realize I have purchased Milk, and 7 or 8 different varieties of frozen food. Not exactly what you want to be handing the homeless guy on the freakishly frostladen night "here have a frozen eggroll' so I mumble something completely stupid about only having frozen food, well stupid and true that, and off to the car I go. Then after putting the frozen groceries and icy cold milk in the car, I get all guilt pangy (or perhaps it was the windchill) but I go back in the store and get the guy a big ole deli sandwich bring it to him and then feeling all warm and well not really warm cause it is so damn cold, but feeling less guilty I get into the ole Aozame and head for home. Did I mention it was dam cold?

While driving home I was thinking about a statistic I heard on NPR yesterday afternoon about how 1 in 6 people in the world live in a slum. How completely unsettling is that? What is wrong with the world where that is true?

On a different note, Edson is asking his girlfriend's parents for their daughter's hand in marriage...well asked actually cause he did it earlier tonight...but I have no idea how it went because the bastard has not updated me since he was sitting down to dinner with them. Despite my multiple texts chastising him for not pdating me I am updateless. No, I did not expect him to send me updates during the dinner but and I waited until after 11 to begin the haranguing sms' but he has not responded and I am not happy with him. I love him dearly and he is one of my very favorite people but he needs to feel a smiting for not keeping me current. And how completely adorable is it that he is asking for permission to ask their daughter? Edson is just the nicest young man, I hope the girlfriend's parents realize how lucky they are that he is so awesome. Even though he is veryvery not awesome with the no updates thing. So he has the one flaw. And we must agree it is a not insignificant flaw and that Edson shall need to fix this flaw with a quickness. But still, Edson as your son-in-law? Priceless.

0 comments: